King’s Hawaiian Ham & Swiss Rolls

khs8

I think it was last fall during football season, I came across a recipe for baked ham and Swiss cheese rolls while looking for some ideas for halftime snacks.  I had known about this sandwich for years, but had completely had forgotten about it until a picture sparked my memory. For months now I have been threatening to make them but somehow had never gotten around to it, until yesterday.  My partner Kelly had invited a few colleagues over for a “working dinner”, so I wanted to come up with something that I could prepare ahead of time, and also something that would be easy to serve during their meeting.  Well these King’s Hawaiian Ham &Swiss Rolls were the perfect solution. I made them in the morning, and then all I had to do was pop them in the oven when the gang arrived.  Twenty minutes later dinner was served, and judging from the fact that there were none left, I would say they were a success.

khs1

To prepare King’s Hawaiian Ham & Swiss Rolls:

Cooks note:  There are many recipes for this dish, this is my hybrid version. Assemble the sandwich at least four hours before baking or up to 24 hours in advance.

• 1 package King’s Hawaiian Rolls
  • 1 pound deli ham
  • 1 pound Swiss cheese
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
  • 1 onion, diced

In a medium-sized sauce pan melt the butter and mix in mustard, Worcestershire sauce, poppy seeds, and onion.  Simmer until the onions become translucent about 5 minutes.

Cut the entire package of rolls in half. Do not separate them, keep them intact.

khs2

Lightly grease the bottom of a 9″ x 12″ baking pan.  Place the bottom half of the rolls in the prepared pan and spread with half of the onion mixture.

khs2a

Layer the ham and cheese over the onion mixture.  Cover completely from edge to edge.

khs3

Replace the tops of the rolls and spread the remaining onion mixture evenly over the surface.

khs4

khs5

Cover pan loosely with aluminum foil that has been lightly sprayed with non-stick spray. Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours (the rolls will absorb the butter mustard sauce as they sit).  When you are ready to serve. Remove rolls from the refrigerator and heat oven to 350°F.  When the oven in hot, place the covered pan in the oven for 10 minutes.  Remove foil and bake uncovered for another 10 – 15 minutes, or until tops are light golden and slightly crisp.  Transfer rolls onto a cutting board, cut and serve.

khs7

khs9

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

18 comments on “King’s Hawaiian Ham & Swiss Rolls

1. Liz Cantu on said:

These are always a huge hit when we have pot-lucks! I have made the traditional ham and swiss, but also tried turkey with monterray jack and it turned out great. Tonight is a trial of turkey and provolone and roast beef and mozzarella.

• Christoph on said:

Your variations sound great. I was thinking to make a roast beef and Swiss with a horseradish sauce! Let me know how your experiment works. Thanks for sharing and for checking out our blog!

2. I made these for our Christmas Eve dinner and the bottoms of the rolls burned and were completely black when I pulled them out of the oven. We ate the top and the ham and cheese but the bottoms were completely ruined. What did I do wrong?

• Christoph on said:

Suzanne

I am sorry to hear that you had a problem with the rolls. I have not had that experience. Perhaps your rack was positioned too low in the oven? Or that you used a very light weight pan? Also is your oven temp accurate? I am sorry I can not be of more help here. Perhaps you will give them another try. I do spray the bottom of the pan with a nonstick spray, and use a glass baking dish on a rack in the very center of the oven. You might try to lower your temp a bit and shorten the time. Thank you for your feedback!

3. I’ve made these a few times and they are always a hit with my “guys” on NASCAR weekends. They have requested them for this Sunday. So easy and soooooo very good!!!! Thanks, Chris!!!!

4. Pingback: Food/Cooking - Page 36 - RCCrawler

5. Sandy Watt on said:

where do you get the kings rolls from?

• Christoph on said:

Most grocery stores carry King’s Hawaiian product. I am in Colorado and Safeway, Kroger, and Albertsons stock them. Hope that helps.

6. Deanna on said:

These sound great. Is there a way to print w/o all the pictures?

thanks. How many does this serve?

• Christoph on said:

Deanna I have sent you a copy of the recipe. There are 12 rolls in a package, and I have found that often people will have 2. Hope that helps. Please let me know what you think if you decidde to make them.

• Deanna on said:

Thank you for the recipe. Wonder could I freeze the leftovers? It is just DH & me.

• Christoph on said:

I am sure you could. I would suggest heating them in the oven instead of the micro after you thaw them to keep them from getting soggy. Enjoy!

7. I’m making these the second time today. My “guys” (Hubby, Godson & friend) went GAGA over them!!! Chris, you are amazing!!

• Christoph on said:

So glad you and your family enjoy them! Thanks for following my blog, and also thanks for the feed back!

8. I have a recipe that’s been in my family for years that’s very similar, only we use salami. Mmmmm, pork.

9. Kathleen Richardson on said:

What a great idea, Christoph. Who doesn’t like ham and cheese! I know I do and I love the idea of the onion sauce.

10. Amazing dish! Thanks for taking time to throw it together and look forward to having you both over when it warms up a bit. I’m not sure we’ll be able to top the ham & cheese sliders but will have fun trying.