Peppers, onion, black beans, and corn add flavor and texture to this easy to make treat. Delicious as the main course, or served on the side, these spicy pepper boats are sure to please.
- 3 large green peppers halved cored and seeded
- ½ pound ground beef browned and crumbled
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely diced
- 1 ½ cups cooked rice
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- ½ cup corn
- ¼ cup salsa
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded (divided)
- 3 tablespoon cilantro rough chopped
- ½ cup crushed corn chips or bread crumbs
Cut green peppers in half and remove seeds and ribs with a melon baller or spoon. Place pepper on a sheet pan.
In large skillet, brown and crumble ground beef. Drain to remove excess grease.
Sauté onion, red pepper, jalapeno, and garlic until onion is translucent.
Place ground beef and onion pepper mixture in a large mixing bowl. Add rice, black beans, and corn.
Mix to combine. Add salsa, ¼ cup cheese, and cilantro. Toss to mix.
Spoon filling into peppers, and sprinkle with corn chips¹ or bread crumbs. Top with remaining cheese.
These peppers can be prepared in the oven or on the grill. Substitute chicken for the beef, these peppers are a great way to use up some left overs, or skip the meat altogether for a vegetarian version. I plan one half peppers per person.