Sauteed Italian Vegetables with Wilted Spinach
This colorful combination of sauteed vegetable is as appealing to the eye as it is to the tongue. Fresh spinach is wilted into this medley of Italian spiced vegetables in this easy-to-prepare, delicious dish. Finished with some red pepper flake and finely grated Parmesan cheese, this could easily become one of your families favorite way to have their vegetables.
- 2-3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow squash, sliced
- 1 small zucchini squash, sliced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium-sized white onion, sliced
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1½ teaspoons Italian herbs
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 2 cups fresh spinach, loosely packed
- 1 teaspoon Red pepper flake, optional
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cut squash, peppers, and onion into similar sized pieces. Different shapes will make your dish more interesting. Cut garlic into thin slices
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil. When oil is shimmering add squash, peppers, onion, and garlic. Stir to coat all vegetables with oil.
- Add Italian spice. Lightly season pan with salt.
- Stir vegetable to cook evenly about 15 minutes or until tender.
- When vegetables are tender, remove pan from heat and add spinach. Toss to mix. The heat from the vegetable will wilt the spinach.
- Add red pepper flake and Parmesan cheese if desired.
Cook the vegetables to your families liking. I prefer a little crunch on my veggies so I cook them for a shorter amount of time.
Red pepper flake and Parmesan cheese make a nice addition.