Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread Muffins
Tender and sweet with a touch of heat, these jalapeno cheddar cornbread muffins make the perfect side to any BBQ or Southwestern dish. Sharp cheddar delivers a subtle tang to these easy to prepare muffins. Creamed corn makes these handfuls of love moist and delicious.
For the most part I am a fan of making things from scratch, but I will admit that I do grab mixes for certain items. Jiffy cornbread mix is one of those things I keep in the pantry. I find it a very convenient consistent product that is fool proof. I do however like to kick it up a notch from time to time by adding a few extra ingredients. This combination of cream corn, cheddar cheese, and jalapenos has to be one of our favorites.
- 2 boxes Jiffy Cornbread mix
- 1 14.75 ounce can cream style corn
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup jalapeno peppers seeded and diced
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon honey
Position rack in the center of oven and heat to 400 F degrees.
- Liberally grease a muffin tin, be sure to completely coat the cups and top of pan.
- Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Allow batter to sit for 5 minutes and then mix well again. This will help the muffin tops to crown.
- Using a scoop or spoon fill the muffin cups about ¾ full.
- Top with a little shredded cheddar and a slice of jalapeno.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the tops are golden and the edges are lightly browned.
- Let stand in the pan for 5 minutes before removing from pan. Place muffins on wire rack to cool.
I didn't use muffin papers as I like the crisp that forms from the batter against the pan, but you can certainly use them if you like.