Taco Tot Casserole
Ground beef, black beans, corn, and green chilies are mixed with cheese and taco seasoning then baked under a layer of crispy tater tots in the easy-to-make Taco Tot Casserole. Served with avocado, tomatoes, sour cream, and pickled onions this old school style dish might easily become one of your families favorites.
Normally in our house we make things from scratch. We purchase very few convenience or prepared foods, but every so often something easy to make sounds like just the ticket. A couple of weeks ago we had a rainy cool day, which was a real treat with all the hot weather we have been experiencing. I had planned to make tacos but as the afternoon got darker and cooler I decided I wanted something different. Something warm and gooey that would really help me embrace the almost cold day. So I made a quick trip to the nearby market and picked up a few items, (that we normally never keep around the house) and threw together this comfort-style old-school taco casserole to enjoy in a bowl under a blanket watching a movie. I will say it is not the kind of thing we have very often, but it sure hit the spot. It was just what the doctor ordered!
- 1 pound ground beef browned and crumbled
- ½ onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chilies drained
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 16 ounce package frozen corn thawed
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend divided
- 1 28 ounce package Tater Tots
- 1 10 ounce can red enchilada sauce
- Heat oven to 375 and lightly grease a 9” x 12” glass baking dish.
- In a large skillet brown and crumble the ground beef along with the onions and garlic. Add the taco seasoning and stir well.
- Add the chillies, beans, corn, and 2 cups of the shredded cheese. Mix well and spread mixture evenly in the prepared baking dish.
- Evenly cover the top of the beef mixture with the tater tots. Pour the can of enchilada sauce over the entire casserole.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until the tots are crisp. Spread the remaining cup of cheese evenly over the top of the potatoes and return to the oven for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes before dishing up.
Delicious served with avocado, tomatoes, pickled jalapenos, sour cream, fresh cilantro or pickled onions.
I forgot my glasses when I ran to the store and ended up with tater wheels which worked just as well. I think even frozen french fries would work if that's what you have on hand.