Glazed Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
There’s a taste of sunshine in every bite of this incredibly moist lemon poppy seed quick bread. Topped with a fresh lemon glaze, this easy-to-make recipe is the perfect balance of tart and sweet. For breakfast or brunch, the bright lemony flavor of this delicious bread is the perfect way to welcome your day. I like to make two loaves, one to enjoy at home and one to share with the gang at work, only problem is that now my co-workers keep asking for more. I take that as a compliment!
Lining the bread pans with parchment paper is something I have found very helpful. It makes it super easy to lift the bread out and gives the loaf a clean profile.
An easy-to-make recipe for an incredibly moist lemon poppy seed quick bread. Full of fresh lemon this bread is a taste of citrus sunshine in every bite.
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Position rack in the center of the oven and heat to 350° F.
- Grease an 8” x 4” loaf pan and set aside. For easy removal cut a piece of parchment paper to lay in the pan across the bottom and up the sides. Lightly grease parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds.
- In a separate bowl cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest with a hand mixer. Mix in eggs one at a time, add vanilla and lemon juice. Mix to incorporate.
- In large glass measuring cup or bowl whisk together the milk with sour cream. Heat mixture in microwave about 20 – 30 seconds or until milk is room temperature
- Add the ½ of the butter and ½ of the milk to the flour and mix to moisten. Add the balance and mix just until batter is wet. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and tap on the counter to level and to release air bubbles.
- Bake for 45 - 55 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Place pan on a wire cooling rack for 5 minutes before lifting bread out using a knife if needed to loosen ends.
- Place wire rack over a piece of wax paper and while bread is still warm to the even spoon the lemon glaze over the top. Cool completely before slicing.
- Combine lemon juice and sugar in a small bowl and stir until completely combined. Mixture should be thin.
I line my bread pans with parchment paper for a clean and easy removal.
Spoon the glaze over the bread while it is still rather warm.