Mexicali Stuffed Peppers
Black beans, corn, jalapeno, and farmers cheese make a delicious filling for these Mexicali stuffed peppers. This easy-to-prepare vegetable side dish is full of spicy flavor and a hint of lime, making it the perfect companion for your grilled chicken or pork chop dinner. What a tasty way to serve your family a healthy “boat-load” of veggies that they will most certainly love.
- 3 large green peppers halved and seeded
- 1 can black beans drained
- 1 cup corn
- ½ cup diced fresh tomato
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- ½ cup onion diced
- ½ cup farmers cheese crumbled
- 2 tablespoons taco sauce more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded for topping
- Heat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Cut the peppers in half and remove seeds.
- In a mixing bowl, combine beans, corn, tomato, jalapeno, onion, farmers cheese, taco sauce, lime juice, and spices.
- Fill the pepper halves with the bean and corn mixture.
- Top with grated cheese and a drizzle of taco sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and return to oven for an additional 30 minutes or until peppers are tender and cheese is melted.
These peppers are a fantastic way to get your family to eat a boat load of veggies.
Add more peppers and chili powder for a spicier version, or leave them out totally if you prefer.